South Jersey Chicken Pipian
Prep Time: 25 min.
Cook Time: 50 min.
Skill Level: Easy
Serves: 4 Servings
- 4 chicken legs
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp. Obis One black garlic sea salt(http://www.obisone.com/products/seasonings/black-garlic-salt-2/)
For the Sauce:
- 1 ½ cup green organic pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1 lb. Jersey green tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium hot pepper, your choice
- ½ white onion, roughly chopped
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth, warmed
- ¼ cup purple basil leaves
- 1tsp. Agave nectar
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Slide your finger to loosed skin on chicken. Rub olive oil and black garlic sea salt between meat and skin as well as around outside of legs.
3. Place chicken on a parchment lined baking dish and roast in the oven until chicken is cooked through, about 35 minutes or until internal temperature is 165 degrees F. Remove from oven, loosely tent with foil and set aside.
For the Sauce:
1. Preheat a large, heavy skillet. Toast the seeds for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly, until they begin to pop, about 5 minutes. Transfer the seeds to a plate to cool and reserve a handful for garnish.
2.In a medium, heavy saucepan, simmer the green tomatoes, chile and onions in salted water to cover until the tomatoes soften, about 12 minutes.
3. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the tomatoes, chile and onions to a blender and puree with the chicken broth, basil, agave syrup and toasted pumpkin seeds until smooth. Season with black garlic sea salt.
To serve, remove skin from chicken legs, separate thigh from drumstick, and cut diagonal slits into the meat. Transfer to a serving plate. Spoon pipian sauce on top and garnish with the reserved toasted pumpkin seeds.