Smoked and Braised Pork Cheeks, Grilled Carrots, Black Garlic and Vanilla Cream
Smoked and Braised Pork Cheeks, Grilled Carrots, Black Garlic and Vanilla Cream – for those of you who like a culinary challenge, try out this recipe!
Prep Time: 30 min.
Fridge Time: 1 hr.
Cook Time: 1 hr.
Skill Level: Hard
Serves: 6 servings
- 4 lbs. pork cheeks, cleaned
- 2 c. apple cider
- 8 Obis One black garlic cloves(http://www.obisone.com/products/black-garlic-bulbs/organic-peeled-black-garlic-cloves/)
- 6 c. filtered water
- 2 tbsp. Obis One Black Crack(http://www.obisone.com/products/seasonings/black-crack/)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 5 c. veal or beef stock
- 1 lb. carrots
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. Obis One black garlic salt(http://www.obisone.com/products/seasonings/black-garlic-salt-2/)
- 1/2 c. fat free evaporated milk
- 1/3 c. sour cream
- ½ vanilla bean – slit lengthwise –seeds scraped
- 3 tbsp. flour
1. Marinated pork cheeks with olive oil and Black Crack. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Combine cider, black garlic cloves and water in the smoker’s water tank (this will create a nice aroma in the smoker).
3. Smoke pork cheeks with a 3 parts hickory to 1 part apple wood chips in hot smoker for 40 minutes. Try to keep the smoke temperature at 200 degrees.
4. Trim tops and ends from the carrots and cut crosswise into pieces approximately 3 inches long. Cut any thick ends in half lengthwise. In a bowl, toss with the oil and 1/4 teaspoon black garlic salt.
5. Grill for 4 minutes, until the carrots develop sear marks and are beginning to soften. Flip, cover, and grill for another 4 minutes. Carrots will be softened with a bit of crunch in the middle. Wrap in aluminum foil after cooking if you want carrots to be served warm.
6. After smoking, sear in hot sauté pan.
7. Place seared cheeks into braising pot and cover with beef or veal stock and bring to a simmer. Cover simmering pan with foil and place in a 300F oven; braise cheeks for 2 ½ hours.
8. Remove cheeks from pan and place to the side. Take a large spoon and skim off all excess fat from the top of the sauce.
9. Combine milk, sour cream, vanilla and flour to braising liquid and mix with a whisk and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add pork cheeks back to sauce and heat for 3 minutes,
10. Plate your grilled carrots and add cheeks. Use desired amount of sauce.