Black Garlic Cream, Nasturtium Flower
The idea is to find a new, funky use for the beloved but often misunderstood turnip and create a room temperature salad with remarkable flavor components, similar yet different from the old standby, the potato.
Prep Time: 15 min
Smoker Time: 1 hr.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Skill Level: Medium
Serves: 4 Servings
- 8 medium turnips, trimmed and cut into 1-1/2” cubes
- 1 tbsp. Obis One Black Garlic Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. granulated onion powder
- 2 tbsp. white sugar
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 Obis One black garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1/8 cup milk
- 2 tbsp. sour cream
- 2 tbsp. cream cheese
- 1 minced shallot
- 1 dash cayenne
- ½ tbsp. minced chives
- 4 Nasturtium flowers and leaves, chopped fine
- Prepare smoker with your choice of wood to 300 degrees F.
- Mix together black garlic sea salt, paprika, onion powder, white sugar and brown sugar in a bowl.
- Rub the mixture on all sides of the turnip cubes. Place on a rack in the smoker and allow to smoke 45 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium low heat. Add flour and whisk for 1 minute. Add milk, sour cream, cream cheese, shallot and cayenne and cook over low heat until reduced to your preferred consistency.
- To assemble, ladle ¼ of the sauce onto individual plates, top with two turnip cubes, top each with one half black garlic clove, sprinkle with flowers and serve.
Posted on 3/13/2014 at 11:48:00 PM