Smoked and Braised Pork Cheeks, Grilled Carrots, Black Garlic and Vanilla Cream – for those of you who like a culinary challenge, try out this recipe!
Prep Time: 30 min.
Fridge Time: 1 hr.
Cook Time: 1 hr.
Skill Level: Hard
Serves: 6 servings
- 1/2 c. fat free evaporated milk
- 1/3 c. sour cream
- ½ vanilla bean – slit lengthwise –seeds scraped
- 3 tbsp. flour
- Marinated pork cheeks with olive oil and Black Crack. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Combine cider, black garlic cloves and water in the smoker’s water tank (this will create a nice aroma in the smoker).
- Smoke pork cheeks with a 3 parts hickory to 1 part apple wood chips in hot smoker for 40 minutes. Try to keep the smoke temperature at 200 degrees.
- Trim tops and ends from the carrots and cut crosswise into pieces approximately 3 inches long. Cut any thick ends in half lengthwise. In a bowl, toss with the oil and 1/4 teaspoon black garlic salt.
- Grill for 4 minutes, until the carrots develop sear marks and are beginning to soften. Flip, cover, and grill for another 4 minutes. Carrots will be softened with a bit of crunch in the middle. Wrap in aluminum foil after cooking if you want carrots to be served warm.
- After smoking, sear in hot sauté pan.
- Place seared cheeks into braising pot and cover with beef or veal stock and bring to a simmer. Cover simmering pan with foil and place in a 300F oven; braise cheeks for 2 ½ hours.
- Remove cheeks from pan and place to the side. Take a large spoon and skim off all excess fat from the top of the sauce.
- Combine milk, sour cream, vanilla and flour to braising liquid and mix with a whisk and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add pork cheeks back to sauce and heat for 3 minutes,
- Plate your grilled carrots and add cheeks. Use desired amount of sauce.
Posted on 3/13/2014 at 11:21:00 PM